Shalyn of Sightseeing Senorita is bringing a scrumptious Spanish dish to the ‘Recipes Across the World‘ sequence!
After I was in school, I spent a semester overseas in Seville, Spain. I used to be excited for my first huge journey alone, however I used to be additionally fairly nervous. My very first day in Seville I sat down with some new buddies and loved a scrumptious Tortilla Española, my first meal in my new residence for the approaching months.
As I laughed with new buddies and basked within the sunshine in January (versus the blizzard that was ensuing at residence), I knew every little thing was going to be okay.
Tortilla Española turned a consolation meals for me throughout my time in Spain as a result of similar to that first day, it was all the time accompanied by good occasions and even higher folks. My host household made it on a regular basis, so I obtained numerous observe to good this dish.
It was additionally the very first dish we realized find out how to make in my semester-long Spanish cooking class. We additionally made gazpacho, bull’s tail, torrijas, and paella, however Tortilla Española was a tough act to comply with!
Right here’s the recipe for find out how to make Tortilla Española at residence!
Tortilla Española is also referred to as the Spanish omelette and tortilla de patatas (potatoes). It’s usually served as a tapa, which is the Spanish model of an appetizer. Tapas aren’t one thing you simply order for your self, however moderately you get a bunch of tapas and everybody shares.
One other widespread approach to eat it’s to slip it between two baguettes to make a sandwich. How good does that sound?
If you happen to ever get the possibility to go to Spain, you’ll don’t have any bother discovering a scrumptious Spanish omelette. It’s one of the well-known and emblematic dishes of Spanish delicacies, so it may be present in virtually any bar or restaurant in Spain.
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 5 medium-sized potatoes, diced into 1-inch items
- 1 giant brown onion, chopped
- Eight eggs
- Salt, to style
- Black pepper, to style
- Parsley, to garnish (non-compulsory)
- Inexperienced pepper (non-compulsory)
- Chorizo (non-compulsory)
Recipe + Preparation
- Peel the potatoes and cube into 1-inch items. Peel and chop the onion.
- Warmth olive oil in a nonstick medium-sized pan (12-inch) at medium warmth.
- Salt the potatoes and fry till crispy, golden, and tender.
- Add the onion.
- Drain oil with a colander.
- Return potatoes and onions to the pan, cut back warmth to low.
- Beat eggs with a pinch of salt and pepper. Pour egg combination into the pan, shifting it across the potatoes and onions.
- Prepare dinner till eggs are agency to the contact and beginning to set.
- Place a big spherical plate on prime of the pan and rapidly flip Tortilla onto the plate.
- Slide Tortilla again into the pan to prepare dinner the opposite aspect.
- Preserve cooking, gently shaking the pan so it cooks by way of utterly.
- When completed, place a plate on prime of the pan and as soon as once more flip Tortilla onto the plate.
- Garnish with parsley (non-compulsory).
It may be served as an appetizer, entree, or simply stay a part of your conventional tapas menu.
Ideas and Tips
In Spain, this dish was often served chilly or at room temperature, however I want it good and scorching! It’s good for picnics, events, barbeques, or anybody seeking to improve their omelette! The Tortilla Española is tremendous versatile as a result of it may be an appetizer, entree, or simply stay a part of your conventional tapas menu.
It additionally goes nice with a salad!
You can even get artistic and minimize the recipe in half for smaller parts, however I’m certain you received’t wish to after you style this distinctive dish!
Now on a private be aware, I’m from Pittsburgh, and round right here we put hometown Heinz ketchup on EVERYTHING. I’m undecided the Spaniards would approve, nevertheless it certain does style good! Apart from, I all the time love including my very own private contact to a recipe. I encourage you to do the identical.
Now as a result of we’re cooking a scrumptious Spanish delicacies, we are able to’t say bon appétit. In order the Spaniards say, buen provecho!
Wish to discover different scrumptious meals from world wide to make? Try these recipes!