Jen Hlad of Marshmallows & Margaritas is bringing a scrumptious Sri Lankan dish to the ‘Recipes Across the World‘ sequence!
I’ve liked Indian meals because the second I used to be first tasted it, once I was finding out overseas in London. However I had by no means had Sri Lankan Curry — and didn’t know a lot about Sri Lanka in any respect — till I lived in Bahrain.
Like in lots of different Center Jap international locations, a lot of the home, hospitality, and building work in Bahrain is finished by individuals from different international locations. Our housekeeper, Lata, was certainly one of many Sri Lankan ladies who work as maids or nannies in Bahrain — and she or he had been there for greater than 25 years. She taught herself Hindi and English, and supported her mother and father, daughters, and siblings with the cash she earned working overseas.
We liked Lata as quickly as we met her, and she or he shortly grew to become our Bahrain mother. Along with cleansing the home, she additionally at all times supplied to assist me within the kitchen.
Ultimately, I requested her to show me the way to make Sri Lankan meals, and she or he agreed, so long as I wouldn’t inform any of the opposite households she labored for about it. She didn’t need anybody else understanding that she was such prepare dinner!
This rooster curry is likely one of the dishes she taught me to make, and now that neither Lata nor I stay in Bahrain anymore, I believe it’s protected to share it.
Right here’s the recipe for the way to make Sri Lankan Curry at house!
Sri Lanka has been recognized for its spices for lots of of years, and this recipe incorporates lots of these spices into the wealthy sauce.
The island additionally is roofed in coconut bushes, so its delicacies is stuffed with coconut milk. Whereas many individuals there make their very own coconut milk from freshly grated coconut, it isn’t essential to make your individual for this rooster curry.
This recipe was personalised for our American palettes, so it’s decrease on the spice scale than you’d sometimes discover in Sri Lanka, however you’ll be able to go heavy on the cayenne pepper for those who like extra of a kick. It’s finest served with white rice or flatbread, and possibly some tabbouleh on the facet.
Makes about 6 servings
- Two 2.5-inch items of ginger
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1 purple onion
- 2 medium tomatoes
- Boneless rooster breasts (1 package deal – about 2 kilos)
- 2-Three tablespoons coconut oil or ghee
- About 25 curry leaves (see suggestions + tips)
- 2 heaping tablespoons Madras curry powder
- Black pepper, cayenne pepper, and salt to style
- 1 can of full-fat coconut milk
- 1 bunch cilantro (non-compulsory)
Recipe + Preparation
- Peel and slice the ginger, and smash and chop the garlic cloves. Slice the purple onion into skinny slices. Chop the tomatoes and rooster into roughly 2-inch items.
- Put the coconut oil or ghee into a big heavy pot and soften over medium warmth. Add the curry leaves and prepare dinner for a minute, then add onion, garlic, ginger, and somewhat salt, and prepare dinner till beginning to brown, stirring often.
- As soon as the onions have began to brown, add the curry powder and ½ teaspoon of black pepper, then stir within the rooster and tomatoes. Cowl the pot and prepare dinner for 10 minutes, then stir the combination and prepare dinner a further 10 minutes uncovered. Whereas it’s cooking, rinse and finely chop the cilantro.
- Style and add cayenne, black pepper, and salt as wanted (err on the facet of hotter/spicier, as a result of the coconut milk will cool it down a bit). Add half to three-quarters of the can of coconut milk and the entire chopped cilantro and stir. Cook dinner uncovered for a further 10-15 minutes.
Ideas and Tips
Curry leaves are simple to seek out in Bahrain, and so they could also be out there at an Indian grocer the place you reside. Should you can’t discover any, omit them and grate somewhat little bit of lime zest over the curry simply earlier than you serve it.
I used rooster breast as a result of that’s what I like, however rooster thighs would additionally work properly. And whereas cilantro is utilized in many Sri Lankan recipes, I do know there are numerous people who find themselves allergic or who simply don’t prefer it. Should you’re a kind of individuals, go away it out!
Along with its spices, Sri Lanka can also be recognized for its teas. Think about brewing a cup of robust Ceylon black tea to get pleasure from together with your curry.
Wish to discover different scrumptious meals from around the globe to make? Take a look at these recipes!