Olivia Davis is right here in the present day bringing a hearty dish from Barbados to the ‘Recipes Across the World‘ sequence!
The aroma of a hearty, scrumptious Hen Stew crammed my family rising up in Barbados, and nonetheless does in the present day. My mom and aunt realized the best way to make this Caribbean meal from my grandfather and now I’ve lastly perfected the best way to make it as nicely!
In case you ask my husband what his favourite meal is that I cook dinner, he’ll say Hen Stew. Additionally it is my favourite meal to make as a result of I cook dinner it with such ease and it’s tremendous tasty and filling. I really like that it makes leftovers each time, and the flavors truly intensify when it sits within the fridge in a single day.
Right here’s the recipe for the best way to make Caribbean Hen Stew from Barbados at house!
This dish cooked all through the Caribbean positive is tasty in case you are within the temper for good consolation meals. Hen Stew may be present in Barbados at native meals vehicles or deli’s, nonetheless, one of the best ways to have it, in my view, is at house candy house, made with love.
Historically, it’s paired with a starch, corresponding to rice or mashed potatoes. I all the time get pleasure from mine with basmati rice.
Serving measurement: four folks
- four skinless, bone-in rooster thighs seasoned (The bone helps to maintain the meat tender when cooking)
- 1 medium-size onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- A bunch of thyme sprigs
- three carrots, sliced
- four small mushrooms, chopped
- three English potatoes, chopped
- ½ cup frozen peas
- 2 ½ cups of rooster inventory (I used unsalted)
- 2 tablespoons of canola oil
- 2 heaped tablespoons of brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon of browning (non-obligatory)
- 1 teaspoon of Worchester sauce
- four stage tablespoons of flour
- ¼ cup of water
- Salt and pepper to style
Recipe + Preparation
- Season the rooster with thyme, Worchester sauce, salt & pepper. Refrigerate for an hour and even in a single day to permit the rooster to marinate and absorb the flavors of the herbs and sauce.
- In a medium-size pot, on a excessive flame, warmth the oil for five minutes, or till extremely popular. Add the brown sugar, and wait a couple of minutes till it seems bubbly and darkish brown. As soon as the sugar is effervescent, and nearly trying burnt, add your rooster and flip so all sides will get coated. The rooster will flip a pleasant brown colour, caramelized by the sugar. If you want, at this level you may as well add the browning which is able to add some extra further brown colour if you would like the stew to be darker. That is non-obligatory!
- Add the chopped onions, garlic, mushrooms and carrots and provides a stir. Add the thyme, salt and pepper. As soon as blended, add the rooster inventory. Then, add the chopped potatoes. Let bubble for a couple of minutes on a excessive warmth, stir after which cowl with a lid. Flip the warmth right down to low for 20 minutes.
- Add the frozen peas to the pot.
- Uncover and switch the warmth to excessive so the stew is effervescent once more. Add flour to a measuring cup, then pour within the water and blend with a spoon. It ought to make a thick, clean paste, with no chunks (form of like pancake batter consistency). Pour slowly into the pot, and stir till it thickens. If the stew thickens earlier than all of the paste is used, cease including.
- Flip the warmth off, and take away the sticks leftover from the thyme. You’ll be able to then make your rice or different starchy goodness to pair it with!
- As soon as plated, I like so as to add just a little sizzling sauce on prime of my stew, for an additional kick. Eat up, and luxuriate in!
Suggestions and Tips From My Grandfather
Ensure the sugar is effervescent, as this helps so as to add a caramelized taste for the rooster and the stew. The trick is to have the oil extremely popular in order that the sugar can caramelize shortly. The aim is to keep away from utilizing the extra browning.
Including the flour paste on the finish is essential, in order that the gravy within the stew thickens. When you find yourself consuming it along with your rice or mash potato it soaks all of it up when it’s good and thick! Whether it is too liquidy it gained’t be as pleasing!
Random cooking tip from Olivia: When cooking with mushrooms, I prefer to peel the mushrooms and discard the pores and skin and the stem, earlier than I chop them! That means they’re much cleaner.
Need to discover different scrumptious meals from world wide to make? Take a look at these recipes!